Thousands of people forgot their BIOS password and repair center do offer an expensive solution which is changing the motherboard. But you know what, it’s way easy to remove BIOS password from laptop or PC. Just follow the methods shown down below and I hope any of these methods will work for you.
There are different scenarios under which we are using our modern PCs which are very powerful. Some of us use PCs or laptops for work, for gaming, for storing data and much more like that. But, there’s one common thing with all the users. They want their computers secured. Modern technologies offer different types of security level e.g BIOS password and Operating system password. Both BIOS and OS passwords are much secure but users face a problem when they just forgot it.
So, if you too have forgotten BIOS password, there’s nothing to worry about. I’ve also faced the same problem a few months back but I was able to fix it using different ways. To reset BIOS password, we can edit the BIOS firmware and flash a new one. In fact, removing the CMOS battery will be helpful to many users. There are 3 methods to disable BIOS password. Even some BIOS password removal software works well in many cases.
In my opinion, nowadays laptop manufacturers are finding the best ways to kick out unauthorized users from accessing the laptops. They do provide strong BIOS utility to the users and if BIOS password is turned on, there are fewer ways left to bypass it. But, there’s still hope left and I was also able to bypass BIOS password in one of my laptops.
Before proceeding, there are many things to concern. e,g where the password is appearing, what laptop you’re using, have you tried default BIOS password or not etc. etc. The problem with most laptop manufacturers is that they aren’t providing help in removing the password. They just tell us to replace the motherboard which will cost around 100-200$ which is way too expensive and even there’s no need to do that.
So, let’s jump towards those three methods which worked for me and I hope these methods will also work for you.
- 0.1 Methods You Need To Follow
- 1 Method 1. Removing CMOS Battery From Motherboard
- 2 Method 2. By Editing BIOS Firmware (Reverse Engineering Firmware)
Methods You Need To Follow
Method 1. Removing CMOS Battery (Risky)
Method 2. Editing The BIOS Firmware
Method 3. Using BIOS Removal Software
Method 1. Removing CMOS Battery From Motherboard
It’s way risky method than the other two. It’s because of the fact that you need to physically touch the motherboard and remove a component from it. It’s only recommended to advanced laptop users and the ones who are using PCs.
If you’re laptop user, you probably need to tear down it to reach the motherboard. There’s huge possibility that you’ll find a video on YouTube about your laptop’s tear down. On the other hand, the PC users can just remove the cabinet to reach the CMOS battery.
CMOS contains BIOS configuration, date, time and other data stored in it. It has its own power source and can store that data for a long time. But, once we remove the CMOS battery, there’ll be no power source to it and all the data stored in it will be gone hopefully.
- Tear down your laptop PC to reach the motherboard.
- Identify the CMOS battery, look at the image down below.
- Plug out the battery carefully.
- Remain it unplugged for 8+ hours.
- Put it back after 8+ hours and turn on your laptop/PC.
- There are high chances that BIOS password is gone.
Id it didn’t work for you or you’re afraid of doing the teardown, then there are two more methods to follow. Both these methods are software based and we’ll be editing the firmware and using BIOS removal software as well.
Method 2. By Editing BIOS Firmware (Reverse Engineering Firmware)
Limitations Of This Method
There are a few limitations to this method. It’s because it can only be followed when:
- When the user is able to boot into Windows OS e.g BIOS password isn’t set on booting.
- The user should be able to log into the Windows operating system and have administrative privileges.
- First of all, download the firmware from the official website of your computer manufacturer website
Below Are The Links Of Some Manufacturers Official Website
2. Enter the model number of your laptop to find the BIOS firmware file of your laptop/computer and download it.
3. Download the firmware and then extract the contents. If the file is provided in .exe format, then you should extract it using the 7zip software.
4. But, if the files are provided in the zip file, check its folders and find the BIOS firmware .exe file.
5. Now, if 7zip is able to extract all the files, jump to 9th step. But most of the users will get error while extracting the files.
6. If you too get an error while extracting, run the .exe file and do nothing.
7. Press Win+R and type %temp%, look for the folder where a temporary folder is created related to the .exe e.g the firmware file.
8. Copy all its contents and paste them in a seperate folder.
9. Look for the .ini file and find Password=0 line.
10. Change it to Password=1 and press Ctrl+S to save the file.
11. Run the .exe file which should be present within the files and flash it.
12. Restart the laptop and BIOS password should be gone.
If you don’t understand the steps, below is the video showing these same steps. Or simply click here to open how to remove bios password video.
Method 3. Using BIOS Password Removal Software
Note: Users who are able to access boot device selection menu should definitely follow this method. It’s really helpful and works perfectly. If you own an HP laptop, there are very high chances that you’ll be able to remove BIOS password.
We’ll be using CLNPWD tool here. This tool is very useful to remove BIOS password from a laptop or computer.
- Download the tool from here.
- Open the HP USB Disk Storage Format tool and install it on your system.
- Now, click on the shortcut which is made on the desktop and Righ-Click>Run as Administrator.
- Plug-In your USB to the computer and select the tool. Then tick Create DOS Startup disk and select using DOS System Files Located at:
- Now, browse the MS-DOS System Files which is located in the zip file you’ve downloaded.
- Check the Quick Format box and click on Start. Wait till the process is complete.
- Now, copy the clnpwd.exe from the downloaded ZIP file to the USB.
- Reboot your computer and boot from the USB drive in which clnpwd.exe file is located. You can boot from USB by entering into the boot selection menu.
- Now, type dir and hit enter. You’ll get all the files inside your USB drive. Type clnpwd and hit enter.
- On screen, you’ll get following message: Press 1 or 2 to clean any password. Now, press 1 to clean user password and press 2 to clean Supervisor Password.
I hope now you’ll be able to remove BIOS password from laptop or PC after following any of these methods. All these processes are followed by thousands of people and also recommended by experts.
Drop down a comment down below and let me know if you’re still getting an error and have the problem during the process.
14 thoughts on “How To Remove BIOS Password From Laptop or PC”
I could not do the process I have a desktop hp try the second method because I can not access the bios to modify and put the usb as boot
Sir, then I recommend you to use the First method which is kind of risky but have high success rate.
could u please explain me with any video because I am not able to understand the statement: On screen, you’ll get the following message: Press 1 or 2 to clean any password. Now, press 1 to clean user password and press 2 to clean Supervisor Password.
Hey, you can watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0fIJpeL7jo which shows 3rd method in details.
Sir can you please say any method for Samsung NP300E4Z-A041N.
I’m using Windows 7. I want to enable virtualization through BIOS. But I don’t know the password. I tried the second method but not able to download the Bios Firmware for this model.
Please visit the official website of Samsung and download the drivers from there.
I tried the first method on an Acer Nitro 5. I do not recommend it. It is too easy to break stuff and it didn’t work or it did until I reinstalled win 10 from usb then went back to needing a P/W for F2. I’m going to try the second method.
I cant find my bios firmware for hp elitbook 8470p
I will try metjod 2.But i have a acer a315-41 with newest vers of bios.Can I downgrade to 1.11 with edited platform.ini and this procedure remove password? I try to reflash with same vers but pass still stay.
How can i install these folders when i dont have access to windows?
Hello Sir, Your Post is very informative and helpful. Thank you for this.
The Issue is, I have downloaded the .exe BIOS file from the HP official website and extract it accordingly by using 7 Zip. But, there is no InsyderFlash.exe file. and also when i extract the .exe file, there is only one folder namely “BIOSUpdate” and when I open the folder, there is no Windows Folder and no platform file too. Kindly give me the step by step detail instruction for my HP EliteBook 8570w Mobile Workstation.
Thanks for reaching, Run the .exe and look for the contents in TEMP folder.
It does not work with Dell XPS 15 9530, please help…
Have you tried other methods shown in the article?