There are millions of websites out there but not all of them are safe for children and even for adults. Hence, it’s wise to block such websites. Learn how to block websites on Android chrome without app.
Blocking a website on an Android device is now easy like never before. Dozens of apps are available on Play Store which can help users with restricting access to some of the bad websites. Such apps and tools are very helpful for parents as they might want to restrict their kid’s access to all the bad websites out there.
We’ve shown multiple ways to block websites on Android. We’ve also discussed a question that is being asked by many users on how to block websites on Android chrome without app.
All the methods shown here are verified by our writers. We assure you that by following the steps, you’ll be able to block the desired websites on your android smartphone device.
If you’re worried that your children might accidentally open a bad website on his/her device, it’s good to block all those websites. It’s your responsibility that your kid won’t access all the bad sites out there.
- 1 How To Block Websites On Android Chrome Without App
- 2 Best Methods To Block Websites On Android Chrome
- 3 Conclusion
How To Block Websites On Android Chrome Without App
Android chrome browser doesn’t support block website features. Hence, you can’t block website on Android chrome without app. However, if you’re using the internet using the router, you can restrict websites using the router admin panel. Otherwise, you’ll have to use some of the useful apps out there which will help you to block the websites.
So, what are the best methods to block websites on android?
You can use some of the free apps available on the Play Store that allows users to block all types of websites. Some of them have a huge database of illegal and banned websites and you don’t even need to block the websites manually.
Those apps are perfect if you want to restrict your kid’s access to toxic websites out there. Unlike Chrome Desktop, Chrome Android doesn’t support extensions.
That’s the reason users can’t block websites using the browser itself. So, keep calm and follow the methods we’ve discussed here.
Best Methods To Block Websites On Android Chrome
Method 1. Use The BlockSite Android App
BlockSite is a free application that is designed specifically for android devices. It can block as many websites you want on your Android device. It doesn’t actually block users from entering the website, but it masks the website window, making it inaccessible. Here are the steps to get started:
- Install Block Site app from the play store.
- Open the app and tap on Getting Started.
- Now, tap on Go To Settings option.
- Under Accessibility settings, select BlockSite.
- Enable accessibility to allow Block Site to prevent browsers from entering specific sites.
- Click on OK.
- Inside the app, tap on the + button.
- Then Enter the URL address of the site to block.
- If someone tries to access a site, the following message will appear.
Note: If this doesn’t work, double-check that you’ve allowed Block Site app in Accessibility Settings. If BlockSite isn’t allowed in Accessibility Settings, it won’t be able to block websites.
Method 2. Using Safe Surfer App
Safe Surfer is one of the most recommended apps on the Play Store when it comes to blocking some Adult websites. As a parent, you should be aware that your kid might accidentally access some of the adult websites. It can be very harmful to your kids in many ways.
Safe Surfer is a great app that is specifically designed to block adult websites on an android device. No need to enter the website URL manually. Safe Surfer got you covered. Here are the steps to block adult websites on Android:
- Download and Install Safe Surfer from Play Store.
- Skip the registration process or create a free account.
- Open the app and enter a new security PIN.
- Click on Menu and select Settings.
- Enable Prevent Uninstall feature.
- Press Back and tap on Get Protected button.
- Wait until you see You Are Protected message on the screen.
- You can close the app.
- Visit any adult website, you should be getting the following message.
- If you get the same message, you’ve successfully blocked adult websites on android.
Method 3. Block Websites On Android using Firefox
You can use Firefox android application to block websites on Android. No need to use any 3-rd party application. That’s because of the fact that Firefox for android support add-ons and can be freely added to the browser from Firefox’s add-ons store. Follow these steps to continue:
- Install Mozilla Firefox browser on your smartphone from here.
- Open Firefox and click on the Options menu.
- Select the Add-ons option.
- Select Browse all Firefox Add-on in the newly opened tab.
- Firefox’s official Add-ons website will open. Click on Search and type “Block Site“.
- Click on Block SIte by RayLo and tap on + Add to Firefox.
- Once the add-on is added to Firefox, it’ll get activated.
- Now, visit the site you want to block.
- Tap on Menu and select the Block Site option.
- Click OK, and that site will be added to the Blocked list.
- To add multiple sites in the block list, select Options>Add-ons>Block Site>Block A New Host Name.
- Enter the URL Address and tap Add.
- Admins can either redirect the URL to another site or can show a Restricted Access message.
Method 4. With the Help of Antivirus App
Antivirus apps can be very helpful when it comes to restricting access to some websites. Android Play Store is loaded with dozens of antivirus applications and we got our eyes on an app called Mobile Security & Antivirus.
It comes with Parental Controls feature which can be
- Download Mobile Security & Antivirus app from Play Store.
- Open the app and register a free account using the valid E-Mail address.
- Log in to your account and select the Parental Controls option.
- Select the Website Filters tab.
- Enable Website filters.
- Tap on Blocked List.
- Enter the Account password.
- Tap on + Add button.
- Type the URL address of the site you want to block in Android.
- Tap Save, enter Password again.
- Now, when someone tries to access a blocked site, the following message will appear on the screen.
This method is going to be very useful for most people. There’s no need to root your device, and it works with all the browsers. But, the problem is that this app isn’t free, and to continue using it after a 7-day trial, we need to purchase the premium subscription.
If you loved the way this app works, then you should upgrade to a premium plan. Every penny you spend will result in safeguard internet surfing for your kids.
5. ES File Explorer
ES File Explorer if file manager app available for free on Play Store. This method works only for rooted android phones. Andoird OS has a hosts file in the system folder. We can edit that file and configure it to block certain websites.
Steps are pretty simple. But, I highly recommend you not to root your device to block websites on Android. Plenty of other ways are listed in here for non-rooted mobile devices. Here are the steps to block websites on Android using hosts file and ES File Explorer.
- Download and Install ES File Explorer.
- Open the App and navigate to /system/etc/ folder.
- Search for hosts file.
- Click on hosts file and Options>Properties.
- Under permissions, click Change.
- Enable Execute permission and click OK.
- Double tap on hosts file and choose ES Note Editor.
- Add following lines to the file:
127.0.0.1 localhost 127.0.0.1 facebook.com 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com 127.0.0.1 example.com 127.0.0.1 www.example.com
- Make sure to add www version of URL separately; otherwise, if the user enters www.example.com, the website will open without getting blocked.
- Save the changes to the file.
- All the specified sites are now blocked on Android mobile.
If the website is still loading, Reboot your device. The considerable advantage of blocking websites on Android using hosts file is that the site is blocked on the system level. No VPN service can unblock it, and the user has to manually remove the address of a site from the hosts’ file.
6. Using a Router
Restrict WiFi users from accessing certain websites. Be the admin of router and block website on Android in a flexible way. Modern router firmware gives many features such as redirecting blocked URL, showing custom block message, etc.
All routers come with admin interface which can be accessed by entering a specified web address.
- Linksys: http://192.168.1.1/
- Asus: http://192.168.50.1/
- Belkin: http://192.168.2.1/
- D-Link: http://192.168.0.1/
- Connect to your router WiFi network.
- Open a web browser and enter router admin access panel address e.g. 192.168.1.1
- Login to the panel by entering username and password.
- Click on Advanced tab.
- Look for Website Filter or URL Blocking feature.
- Enter the website address and apply the changes.
- All the users connected to the router won’t be able to access sites added to the blocked list.
Blocking websites on Android becomes easy because of some useful free and paid apps. It becomes necessary for all of us to block sites which are disturbing and can ruin your child’s childhood.
The Internet is never-ending web of images, videos, stories, etc. Use child filters and web safety filters before handing an android mobile device to young ones. I’ve discussed six methods here which are easy to follow. Drop your comments and share this article if you found it useful.