We’ll guide you through the step by step process on how to update drivers in Windows 10 for free. It’s very important to update drivers on Windows 10 and we’ve described the easiest way of doing that.
Windows 10 is one of the most used desktop Operating System worldwide. Microsoft has released multiple versions of the OS recently to improve the overall user experience. But we all know that with every major update, dozens of bugs are also rolled out to the users. Most of the bugs can be defined as hardware not working well with the software. That usually happened when your drivers are outdated.
With every Windows updates, drivers related to Audio, Graphics, WiFi, Connectivity, etc. are also updated. If you don’t install those updates on your system, your computer might not be able to serve you with the best possible performance. Hence, it’s very important to update drivers in Windows 10.
The biggest misunderstanding between Windows users is that with Windows update, all the drivers are also updated. But that’s not completely true, drivers related to Microsoft received updates along with the Windows core updates. But if your laptop/computer has hardware installed such as Nvidia Graphics card, WiFi card, 3-rd part Audio Drivers, then you need to check for the updates manually or with the help of a software.
Don’t worry as the process is quick and easy to follow. When you update all the drivers, the performance of your computer also increases. So, get ready to increase the overall performance of your laptop/PC!
How To Update Drivers In Windows 10 For Free
To update drivers in Windows 10, you can use a driver updater software. Most of them are paid but provides a free trial with limited options. Or you can download and install the drivers manually which takes more time.
We’ve discussed the three practical methods here. All of them works like a charm. The only difference is the amount of work you need to put in that. Go through all the methods and know which one suits you the best and leave your comments down below.
Method 1: Steps To Update Drivers On Windows 10 automatically:
- Download Driver Booster software and install it on Windows 10.
- Once the installation is completed, you’ll see a Scan Now button, click on it.
- Driver Booster will be launched and you’ll see a big Scan button. Tap on it and software will look for the drivers’ updates.
- Once the scan is completed, a list of updated and outdated drivers will be displayed on the screen.
- Click on the Update Now button and windows 10 drivers update process will start.
- An installation notice will pop-up, click on OK.
- If Windows System Restore isn’t enabled, you’ll get notified, click OK.
- Once the drivers are updated, Driver Booster will ask to restart the PC, select Yes.
If you’ve successfully followed all the steps, congratulations, you’ve successfully updated Windows 10 drivers. Driver Booster is one of the few drivers updater utilities for Windows 10 which updates the drivers to the latest versions. Thanks to its updated index of drivers which is useful to update the drivers without hassle.
Method 2: Update Drivers In Windows Using Device Manager
The device manager allows users to manage hardware attached to their system. It also allows users to add and remove new hardware or install Drivers Updates to that hardware. It’s a very handy feature that Microsoft is providing to its users.
You can use the device manager to install the driver updates for free. It can even search for the drivers’ updates online but that only works when the hardware is related to Microsoft itself. But you can even browse the updated driver file and install it on your system. Here are the steps to get started:
- Open Control Panel and look for Device Manager.
- Open the Device Manager and you’ll see a list of hardware installed on your system.
- All the hardware is categorized, expand the category, and select the device you want to update drivers of.
- Then Right-Click on that and select the Update Driver option.
- Select Search Automatically for drivers, if you want to update the drivers online.
- Windows will connect to the internet and search for the drivers’ updates.
- If driver updates are available, Windows will install them for you.
- Either you’ll get a message saying: Best Drivers are already installed.
When it comes to Device Manager, it can help Windows 10 users to install the driver’s updates manually. Make sure to use that feature if you’re not able to update the drivers to the latest method after trying multiple methods.
Method 3. Downloading and Installing Drivers Manually
It’s the most time consuming, yet effective way of installing the driver software updates. You might be aware of the fact that laptop companies provide drivers CD with their laptop/desktop devices. That CD contains all the drivers for your system but is outdated.
But the updated driver’s downloads are always available on their official website. All you need is to visit their website and enter the Serial/Model number of your computer device. You can then verify whether there’s an updated version of the driver available for your system or not. Here are the steps to do that:
- Visit the Drivers download page of your laptop/PCs manufacturer.
- You can find that page by asking the support or searching it online. e.g Lenovo drivers download
- On the drivers’ support page, you’ll be asked for the model/serial number, enter that information.
- Some companies even offer users the driver update utility, you can try that as well.
- Or you can download the Drivers files manually.
- Once you’ve downloaded the files, extract them, and install them on your computer device.
This method is indeed time-consuming but it assures safe updates of the drivers. In fact, using this method, you can verify whether any official driver update is available for your computer or not. It’s indeed useful because if you install 3-rd party designed drivers, it might hurt your computer in many ways.
Updated drivers come with bugs fixed and many other major fixes and performance improvements. If you think your computer device lags a lot or there’s a sudden decrease in performance after updating the Windows OS, then it’s highly recommended to update the Drivers. Companies like Nvidia recommends users to keep their driver software updated for a reason.
We’ve tried to provide you the best and practical methods to update drivers on Windows 10 for free. If you think this article can be improved, please drop a comment down below and we’ll implement your recommendations. Also, let us know if you’re having any issues when updating your driver software.