Kali Linux is best Linux distro ever built for penetration testing and testing security levels. There are thousands of things we can do using Kali. You can easily create a portable Pendrive easily. Know how to install Kali Linux on USB Pendrive.
People who are interested in ethical hacking probably know a lot more about Linux and mostly Kali Linux. This distro was built to test the security measures of devices. It’s used for both whitehat and blackhat purposes.
If you’re also interested in using Kali Linux, then the best way is to install it on USB Pendrive device. It’s because there’s no need to install it on the partition or running it on virtual box. Even people prefer not to use it on virtual boxes because there is a lot of configurations which should be made to make it run properly.
If you install it on USB Pendrive, all you need to do is just boot through it and everything will be loaded instantly and there’ll be no error left. If we talk about the steps to install Kali Linux on USB Pendrive, it’s very simple and quick task. There are many utilities available which can do it for you. No coding needed and there’ll be no error while booting through it. Learn to make kali live USB using our guide on how to install Kali Linux on USB Pendrive.
Advantages Of Installing Kali Linux On USB Pendrive
Before getting started, let’s talk about the advantages of it and reason behind why you should use it via USB instead of creating the virtual machine or installing it on the different partition of hard drive.
- It’s totally portable. Any computer machine can be used to boot through it. No need to carry your laptop.
- No need to create a different partition on your hard drive.
- Running Kali using virtual box is really headache sometimes. Booting errors or missing drivers are the common problems.
- Users can even create persistence USB to save the data in the USB related to Kali user.
Methods To Install Kali Linux On USB
Note: Make Sure You’ve Following Things
These are the main things we need during the procedure.
- A computer machine e.g laptop/pc.
- Kali Linux ISO image file. If you don’t have then download it from here.
- USB Pendrive, (4 GB minimum).
Now, you’re ready to proceed further. All the methods with steps are down below.
Method 1. Using Win32 Disk Manager
It’s one of our favorite tool to burn Kali ISO image to Pendrive. You can download it for free. Not only Linux images but all the raw disk can be written to removable devices. Very useful and working utility for Windows users.
Another amazing thing about Win32 Disk Imager is that it’s very easy to use. No options, no coding, just follow the steps:
- Download the tool from here: “https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/”
- Make sure your USB Pendrive is plugged into PC/Laptop.
- Open the Win32 DIsk Manager and from the Device, drop-down menu selection, choose your external USB.
- Click on the Folder icon, browse the Kali Linux ISO image. Make sure that under files type, you’ve selected *.* files. Otherwise, you won’t be able to see your ISO image.
- Now, click Write button.
- Popup window will appear, accept the warning.
- Wait till the progress is completed, You’ll get the notification once progress is 100% done.
- Once done, plug out your USB and use it the way you want.
It’s the best and easy to follow method. But, there are two more you can follow to do the same thing.
Method 2. Using Rufus Bootable USB Maker
Rufus is another free and amazing utility to write an ISO image file to external storage devices. Not only image writing but it can do other amazing tasks as well.
You need to choose some options in order to create bootable Kali Linux pen drive. We’ve shown the steps down below to install Kali Linux on USB using Rufus.
- Download too from here: “http://rufus.akeo.ie/”
- Make sure USB is plugged into your PC/laptop.
- In the device selection, select your USB device.
- Set partition scheme as GPT partition scheme for UEFI.
- The file system should be FAT32
- Set cluster size to 16KB.
- Then click on Start button and wait till the process is done.
- Once all done, you’ll see the READY message.
Method 3. Using Windows Command Prompt (CMD)
Note: This method is only for advanced users because otherwise, you might end up with no result or loss of data. Or understand the commands deeply before executing them. (Administrator level access required)
- Insert your USB device to your PC/laptop.
- Press Win+R and type “cmd“, hit enter.
- In the command prompt, type diskpart.
- Provide the admin access in order to run diskpart.
- Now, type list disk. All the disks connected to pc/laptop will be listed. See the disk size to determine which USB you want to install the Kali Linux.
- Let’s say disk 1 is your USB, so type select disk 1.
- Type clean and hit enter.
- Type create partition primary.
- Now, type select partition 1.
- We need to format that partition now, so type format fs=fat32 quick.
- Once the format is done, type active and then assign.
- Copy your Kali ISO to USB and extract it using WinRAR or 7zip.
That’s all, you can now boot into Kali Linux using that USB.
Tip: Guide To Boot Through Kali Linux Bootable USB Pendrive
After following any of the method given above, you now need to boot through it and test if it really works or not. Users who don’t know, the steps should follow this little guide:
- Plug in your USB to USB port in laptop/computer.
- Turn off your computer and turn it on again in order to enter boot device selection menu.
- To enter boot device selection menu, press F12 key or F11.
- Select the USB and press enter.
- Wait until the computer is successfully booted.
Remember that default username in Kali Linux live is “root” and password is “toor”
Drop down your comments down below if you’re having a problem with something.